Tuesday, June 8, 2010

ANTM Cycle 14

I’m an avid fan of America’s Next Top Model. I have been watching this modeling show since its first cycle. Although not all cycles are shown in Singapore, I have watched every single cycle on Youtube and I am always looking forward to the next one.

However, I do realise that my guess for the winner of every cycle is always wrong (oh well, maybe I did guess coreectly for 2-3 cycles). It gets so frustrating that the dark horse always wins. The model that performed so well in the first half of the cycle always ended up being the runner-up. So weird! Take for instance, two girls were left in the competition and one of them was the one that I rooted for. It was pretty obvious who should win but in the end, I was disappointed once more! But nevertheless, I still watch the next cycle haha!

Maybe you won’t understand what I’m trying to say so I shall leave you to judge. I will show you the pictures of the final two girls and you decide who should be the winner.

More about ANTM Cycle 14

ANTM Cycle has moved back to New York City and the theme is social networking. This time round, there are more beauties in the show and there was more and more bitch fights due to this girl called Angelea. There were also two girls which I really liked called Alexandra (a plus-sized model and in RED) and Jessica (a sweet doe-eyed beauty and in YELLOW).


So after battling it up with one another, 2 girls out of these 13 girls remained. They were Krista White (the black girl) and Raina Hein.

Krista White

Raina Hein

Just by looking at their profile pictures, don’t you agree that Raina does bear resemblance to Brook Shields because of those “wolf eyes” as mentioned by Tyra Banks and dense eyebrows? Maybe that’s why she won me over immediately. As for Krista, she has this unconventional beauty that fashion industry adores. Actually, it just means that she is not the pretty kind.

Now, I shall show you the pictures of these two from the weekly photoshoot challenge.


Challenge 1: "Dreckitude!" -- The girls pose for their first official Top Model photo shoot but quickly learn they are only allowed to wear one article of clothing on America's Next Top Model and yet they have to advertise the article in the photo.

Krista advertising a dress in high fashion.

Raina advertising a ring. They were naked in the shoot so that's why Raina's breasts are mosaic-ed.

My verdict: I love Raina's shoot better as mentioned by Andre Leon Talley, the new resident judge of ANTM Cycle 14 and also the chief editor of Vogue Magazine USA, Raina does portray the beauty of the women of Renaissance age. If I'm not wrong, Raina won this challenge.


Challenge 2: "Let's Dance" -- This week's photo shoot is dance-inspired and forces the girls to pose while demonstrating their fancy footwork on America's Next Top Model

Krista showing her ballet dance steps.

Raina in her jazz moves.

My verdict: I don't like any. Despite Krista's attempt in tiptoe-ing, I can't feel the grace of a ballet dancer in her. As for Raina, she looks awkward probably due to her size but she's "smizing" like what Tyra loves.


Challenge 3: "Imaginary Scent"-- The girls have to spray on a purple liquid which will evaporate after a while and they have to imagine that the liquid is the womanly scent emitting from their bodies.

Krista

Raina

My verdict: I think it's obvious who won this. I think Krista's picture looks like those perfume ad for sports brands as she looks strong and toned. But it is Raina who rocks the photoshoot. She looks breathtakingly gorgeous! Not prettily pretty but so strong that I think the scent she's giving out totally blows her hair to one side. LOL! Lousy description. Her eyes are piercing and asking me to buy whatever perfume she's wearing cos if I apply them, my hair will also be flying around. I think she won the challenge again.

Challenge 4: "America's Next Top Vampire" -- The girls portray vampires in a tub of blood in this week's photo shoot challenge.

Krista floating after being bitten by the vampire.

Raina becoming a fierce vampire herself after being bitten and trying to take lead.

My verdict: I like Raina's. The judges were making fun of the girls as there were quite a number of photos of how they tried to lie flat on the edge of the bathtub for posing. Tyra and Nigel were laughing at how ridiculous they look as they had no idea vampires will float once bitten. LOL. Yes, Krista did pose with her legs but her face is dead like a corpse whereas Raina's picture tells a story and it's amazing that the you can tell the energy she portrays even when her face can't really be seen.


Challenge 5: "Smile and Pose" -- The girls head to NYC's garment district to be completely transformed in faux fashion wardrobe


My verdict: Raina's! The girls were given heavy makeup and they had to pose as mannequins wearing fake branded clothings. The main idea is to portray the idea that fake branded stuff makes people fake. Krista reminds me of Big Bird from Sesame Street. So I chose Raina as she managed to pose side way yet turned her upper body to hit the light. She looks gorgeous despite her exaggerating makeup! Good job!


Challeng 6: "New York Women" -- This week's photo challenge finds the girls striking a pose while on board a New York City Subway car on America's Next Top Model

I can't remember what type of New York women Krista is portraying. Maybe like Sex and the City those kind.

Raina is portraying those punk rock girls.

My verdict: This is a shoot meant for Covergirl Cosmetics. I prefers Raina's more as the minute I saw this picture, I think the lipstick looks good on her. She totally sells the product. As for Krista, her skin is pretty and I want to know where she get a foundation that is of exact colour as her natural skin.


Challenge 7: "Big Hair Day" -- This week's photo shoot finds the girls posing with big hair on America's Next Top Model


My verdict: I love both but I would choose Krista's! She totally rocked the shoot! She used to be unnoticed at the start of the show but it was in this shoot that she started experimenting with different poses. Those dresses are fully made of wigs! And Krista looks like those strong native women with her pose and strong cheekbones! Love it to the max. It was also in this shoot that I started noticing her more. She won the challenge for the first time.


And at the start of judging, Tyra announced that the girls will be flying off to New Zealand!

Challenge 8: "Welcome To New Zealand" -- The final six girls arrive in New Zealand and this week's photo shoot finds them all modeling the same dress with a special guest, a sheep, on America's Next Top Model on The CW.


My verdict: I like both. As mentioned, they were wearing the same dress. I like how Krista's dress looks like a tornado in the green pasture and I like how Raina makes the dress look wearable and she looks a little like the black witch stealing a sheep. But if I were to choose one, I think Krista's has a stronger statement and her dress really looks "WOW!". New Zealand is so pretty right? Krista won this challenge again and she has been on a winning streak since last week.


Challenge 9: "Hobits vs. Models" -- During this week's photo shoot, Tyra goes behind the camera with the final five models on America's Next Top Model on The CW.

My verdict: I like both but Krista won again. Her shoot is more editorial whereas Raina's has a different feel to it. Tyra was the one shooting these. She wanted to create the effect of piercing through the shadows and she creatively thought of using different clothes and shields to create the patterns. My favourite pic for this photoshoot is not them actually but the one by Alexandra which I will show it in the next entry.


Challenge 10:"Ugly-Pretty Woman" -- This week's shoot finds the girls in Queenstown, New Zealand where they must be ugly-pretty on America's Next Top Model on The CW.



My Verdict: I like Raina's because it looks so mysterious, like she's hiding something from us. But, Krista won again!!! OMG! Anyway, this shoot is so interesting. They were made ugly yet they must try to look pretty in the shoot.

Finally, they were the last two remaining. As always, the two finalists have to take a Covergirl photoshoot as the winner be the ambassador of Covergirl and will have her photo seen in around USA.


My verdict: I prefer Raina's as she looks more friendly and approachable whereas Krista looks a little old in the pic.

Their runway showdown!

So, who do you think win the competition? It's.....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Krista who gets to photograph with Tyra like all the other cycles' winners. See? I told you, the dark horse won!


Other Highlights of the Show


Jessica

Alexandra

And also Tyra's outfits in the show! This time round, she wore jumpsuits or pantsuits all the time.








Did I just bring joy and entertainment to your life? Go watch ANTM!

No comments: