Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Being a grown up is tough...

Have been deliberating if I should post this entry for a few weeks and I think I should. I have this mentality that if I tell someone about something before it is confirmed, somehow I'll jinxed it. But after much consideration and the activity that I have been engaged in today, I feel that I should document it. This blogspot is like a diary to me and I want to note down the big happenings in my life for future reminiscence. 

Some background:
It all started a few weeks back when des came over to my house to meet me after my trip from China. He told me excitedly that he will be moving house soon and that his family has sort of found their ideal dream house. Well, des's parents have been house-hunting for a few weeks. They have been living in their house for more than ten years and were looking for a better location. This time round, they have found one that has great parking space, good location, ideal layout and reasonable pricing. Then, the excited boyfriend went on telling me that he will be getting the whole of level four (the house has four storeys) and that he would want me to be helping him in the interior design.

For what? It's not my house. That was my first thought until I finally got his hint. Well, mum and sis were around then when des was breaking the news to me and it became clear to me that he wanted me to help him with the designing as eventually, I will be staying with him, with his family, after we get married while waiting for our BTO. 

I was a little overwhelmed then and I didn't know how to react. I was caught by surprise. The thought of leaving my small house, MY MOTHER... OMG I DON'T WANT THIS TO HAPPEN SO SOON!!!

It suddenly dawned on me that in a few years' time, I might be getting married, leaving my house, starting a new family, facing all those grown-up stuffs (even though I pay my own bills) like placing deposit for house, applying for house grant, settling in a new place, buying furniture, settling renovation works, carpentry, piping, curtains, flooring, lights, wiring, paying utility bills, washing and ironing my our own clothes, doing housework and many more. 

At that moment, I just felt sooooooooooooooooo lost and it saddened me. I have been in the comfort of my own house for so long, protected by my mum and now that I am faced with the prospects of starting a new life, I sort of chickened out. And the real thing has not even happened yet. OH NO!!! 

So, the next day, I confided in des about the worries I had and prepared him for our future. I told him that if we were to live together after we get married, somehow he must also make some plans about our future (not rushing him to get married). At the end of our conversation, he sighed and agreed that being a grown up is tough. It was funny seeing him getting all serious and frowning when he said that. 

In the meantime, I will document the process of getting our bedroom and study room/beauty room renovated. Today, I went with des' family for lights-hunting. There was so much to learn from this trip. We went to Balestier and after visiting a few shops, we have kind of decided on the lights that we would want for the house. It was not easy. Took us half a day to decide on the down lights and hanging lights. Renovating is not definitely not an easy job too! I learnt so many new technical terms on renovation. It was lucky that we had a theme in mind (which is contemporary, more towards resort style)

 So that when we were planning the renovation works and choosing the furniture, we had some ideas on what we were looking for. I'm excited about designing our rooms and really looking forward to seeing the end products. :) Right now, I just hope that everything will go according to our plans and we will take things one step at a time.

No comments: