Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Conversation with my students (Part 1)

As I am writing this, my legs are aching real bad and I feel so tired. I am mentally and physically drained! It's not easy to teach a bunch of kids nowadays, no matter how cute and well-behaved they are at times. But nonetheless, I survive and whenever I think of the cute conversation I had with them, I feel energised again!

There's a chubby girl in my class called Jamie. She always love to daydream in class but she's cute and innocent. You know, those chubby kind who will wear their short high. The first few weeks of my practicum, I usually sat at the back of the classroom and observed my CT teaching. Sometimes, I will teach one or two lessons.

One day after a lesson I taught, she came to me and showed me some baby rubber dinosaurs she have bought from the bookshop.

J: Miss Wong, see what I got.

Me: Oh, so cute. What's that?

J: Dinosaurs! Roar! (literally making the sound)

Me: Is that erasers? Please ah, you can play with it now or recess but don't do that during my lesson ok? If not, I will have to confiscate them.

J: Ok. Tomorrow is my favourite day Miss Wong.

Me: Why?

J: ...

Me (trying to tease her): Oh I know! You like Saturday because it is the day where you can do my homework!

J (giving me a duh face): No. Tonight I will finish all your homework and tomorrow my daddy mummy will bring me out! Yay!

Cute right? I enjoy talking to them!

******************************************************

The other day, my teacher was reading a story on how a girl felt embarrassed because her stomach growled and everyone thought what sound that was. So, she proceeded by asking the class, "Ok children, when do you feel embarrassed?" Some pupils answered, "When our stomachs growl." The teacher said no because her ideal answer was "When the class is very quiet and all of a sudden, our stomachs growl."

While she was trying to make her question clearer, one girl suddenly raised her hand and said very loudly, "I know, when we fart!" Not anticipating this question, I burst out laughing. THEN, right after she said that, Jamie really farted very loudly! Oh my! I tried to hold my laughter and apparently a few girls heard it and started accusing her. She tried to deny it and then the girl started to spread the "news".

Miss Jamie was so embarrassed and she just bent down and ignored them.

****************************************************

Today, Jamie was so naughty that I scolded her. When I said scolded, I don't mean shout but rather just talked to her one to one. I told her that I was very disappointed during the National Day rehearsal as she ignored my instructions and kept playing and making a fool.

So when we went back to class, she was busy talking again. So in a stern voice, I told everyone to go for their toilet break and gave them 5 min to settle down. Dear Miss Jamie suddenly approached me with a paper fan she made.

J: Miss Wong, see.

Then she started fanning me.

Me: Yes, Jamie?

J: Nah!

Me: For me?

J: Yes. I made one.

Me: Oh for me? So nice of you. You are such a sweet girl but she must behave yourself ok?

She gave me an innocent look (those big eyes) and nodded. My heart melts...........

No comments: