Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Funny day at work

Yesterday, I was doing blood grouping for the evening. Then came a baby package where i was supposed to do blood grouping using the cord blood. According to our lab practice, we are to wash the blood 3 times with saline then do forward grping only la. Then if it happened that the blood type is AB+, we have to request for the baby's own blood to reconfirm as there could be a possibility that the cord blood contain certain jelly substance that interferes with teh agglutination seen.

Very unfortunately, everytime i do it, the baby will be AB+. So, I had to call the nursery to ask for baby's own blood. By then it was 7 plus, reaching 8pm.

I called and a Filipino nurse answered

"Erm, gd morning, no gd afternoon, this is the nursery, how may i assist you?"

She's nervous u can tell.....

"Oh hi, I'm sally calling for the laboratory, my purpose of calling is to request for a baby own blood to do the blood group, patient name is so so so."

"Ok, you mean you wan the blood from the baby, to confirm the blood group is it? "

"Yes! Not the cord blood ah!"
I was a little kajiong to go hm...

"Ok, so u want me to collect now? or later?"

"Yes, now!"

"Ok, so i collect into a capillary tube? Sorry ah, I am a new nurse and I'm alone here so i not very sure."

"Yes! Heparin tube!"

"Ok!"

"May I know who am i speaking to? I need to record down."

"Mandy." *Name changed to protect the victim.*

"How you spell it?"




Ok, just when i tot i had it all done, she called back 10 min later, and my colleague was the one who answered. She told me that the nurse from nursery called and apparently she forgot to ask for my name so she called back to do so. And then, i asked my colleague what she told her. She said she just spell out my name la.

At that point of time, i was bursting out in laughter, probably being too serious adn I tot it's time to crack some jokes. So, I told my colleague that she shouldn't tell her my name.

My colleague (very serious): "Why, dun tell her ur name den tel her mine meh?"

Me:"No, You should have tell her this... what? someone called? nope, no one called just now, are u sure? there's only one person left in the lab and that's me."

The lady confirmed freak out! haha....


OR....


"MAy I know who called just now requesting for baby's blood?"

"Oh, ya it's me, PONTIANAK, P.O.N.T.I.A.N.A.K., u can call me ponti in short!"








Oh man, my mum sure scold me one... she sure say we shouldn't use this as a joke... touch wood...



More stuff to come..

Today, a patient called "u win" came to do urine test, apparently he's not too happy about me finding bacteria in his urine so he's showing me attitude from his name.



Sally

No comments: