Saturday, January 14, 2012

Hong Kong Jan 2012 (Day 1)

So, I'm back from my first trip of Year 2012 and I must say, twice is enough. Even though I was pretty excited about the trip but I guess six days in HK is sufficient and I don't think I will be going back there in the next few years. Too much Cantonese, rudeness of the people and smoking. Speaking of the latter, no matter where we went (ok, except Ngong Ping), everyone was smoking and we would return to our hotel each night with nostrils stuffed with PI SAI! Yes, that gross!

Nonetheless, it was a fun trip where I fulfilled my promise of bringing my mum to HK to visit Lantau Island. Not to forget that shopping was satisfying too! I bought so many things that will last me till next year. haha :)

I took too many pictures so I will not be writing too much. Shall let the pictures tell the story ok...

woke up really early for the 8.30am flight...
@ T3! Huge merlion!
My travel companions for the next 5 days
not forgetting him...

Oh I'm in Paris without having to be in Paris... Get it? :0

Great photography skill I have... LOL

I was excited!

My outfit matched the background hahaha...


Soon we boarded the plane and off to HK...

I was the "tour guide" so I had to plan for everything, i.e. transportation, itinerary and food since I had been there before. We took the airport express to Kowloon station where there will be a shuttle bus to take us to The Cityview.

Speaking of the hotel, I am deeply impressed with their service. I always think of HK as a rather cold country meaning that their people can be rather hostile and that the service industry in HK was rather bad. But this does not apply to The Cityview. You will know why later...

"Yay! Safe flight so hopefully the journey to the hotel will be a smooth one!"

So guai! Queued up for the train...

The bus that will take us to our hotel...


Hongkongers must be thinking I was crazy when I took this picture. What is so special about this picture? Well, I watch TVB drama and I know this is the kind of public houses that the people live in. I must say we Singaporeans are very fortunate. How dirty do they look!

more...

My mum's and my luggage were huge and heavy. We were really worried that we would not be able to carry the luggage up the shuttle bus as Des sprained his bag. We were rather lucky as the shuttle bus driver helped us with that.

We checked in at our hotel and we were very happy with our rooms. I made the reservation through email and I remembered requesting for connecting rooms as I wanted the two aunties to be near me. They replied that they will try their best in making the arrangements. What I didn't know was that it was impossible for me to get connecting rooms as I only paid for two superior rooms which were the cheapest and connecting rooms were only available if you book premier rooms. The people of Cityview were kind enough to auto-upgrade our rooms to premier rooms (just like what happened the last time I went alone with des) and I must say, what a huge difference it was! The rooms were newer, more spacious and most importantly, we did not have to shower in a bathtub! You had no idea the pain of climbing into a bathtub to shower every morning! First, you worry about how clean the tub is and next, trying hard not to slip in it.


our bathroom


a very satisfied des!



Oh, and I don't need to elaborate how conveniently located the hotel is. You get food, MTR station and shopping just round the corner. So, whoever that wants to travel to HK, I highly reccommend that you stay at The Cityview. :)

Once we washed up, I brought them to the porridge and noodle stall that I raved about which was just located just opposite the hotel. Mum agreed that the porridge was fantastic! 

Raddish beefball noodle

 The ultimate! The pig liver was sooooooooooooo tender!

Century egg porridge with shredded chicken

The food was good but service was mehhhhh.

Afterwhich, we walked to Mongkok (just a few streets away) for shopping. Along the way, these are what we saw.


A street vendor selling popiah wrapped with malt sugar, peanuts and coconuts!


Very nice!


So cute right! Can't imagine people wearing this on their wedding day. I won't mind trying! LOL

Ladies Street

The weather was not too bad on the first day we arrived. I did not even wear my outer jacket so I thought this will apply to the next five days but man, I was wrong.

Mongkok was crowded because it was a public holiday that day.

Went shopping at Argyle Centre.


Then, we were  exhausted from all that walking and decided to have dinner at this restaurant called Fok Lum Fisherman Wharf or something along Nathan Rd.
What a pose! LOL



The decor of the restaurant: forever in wedding banquet mode.



Dishes that we ordered:

Sweet and sour pork (my fav)

Claypot prawns with vermicelli (very fresh)

Claypot mixed vegetable (ohhh noooooo... weird way of cooking where the leafy vegetables were stewed till they became soft and yucky)

Claypot pork ribs with chesnut and pumpkin (not bad)

So, that's all for the first day in HK. We went back to our hotel and turned in early for the night as we were going to Macau the next day.

Stay tuned for Day 2. :)

No comments: