Saturday, July 14, 2012

Foodhunting (1)

Some things that I have been getting up to lately...

To be honest, nothing much beside meeting up friends, family and my bf. Most of the time, the meetings will revolve around food. In fact, some of our meetings were actually food hunting. Haha... 

So, shall let the pictures do the talking!

Food hunt 1: Food for Thought (At Singapore Botanic Garden)
I like the BBQ pull pork burger! Not a fan of burger because I don't really like beef patty and I thought most burgers have beef. This dish totally changed my mindset and showed me that burger and pork can be a good combination! The fries were crispy too. As for des's pesto pan-fried burgundy fish with ratatouille, it was bland and nothing impressionable. 

Also tried the hazelnut chocolate cake and red velvet cake. Both were too sweet especially the red velvet cake. I wouldn't recommend the desserts. Overall, the place attracts lots of customers as it is a great place for brunch for park lovers!


Food hunt 2: Fullhouse Cafe (theme restaurant at Rendezvous Grand Hotel)
Met up with the girls for dinner at Fullhouse as it was a theme restaurant which was kind of interesting. Basically, the restaurant is like a house of a family (you can read more about the restaurant from the website) with its many rooms converted into different parts of the restaurant (party room for drinks, living room for main course etc.). And since the place is well-decorated, it also serves as a great place for phototaking. 
The healthier chicken dish I have ever tasted. So bland that it makes me wonder what the tomato cream sauce was there for. Oh and they added a xiao bai cai which is not fully cooked. I felt as though I skipped my dinner.

Honestly, I think the food was terrible. Somehow, they compromised the food quality for decorations and I felt a little cheated. The food are not reasonably-priced too. Not going back.


Food hunt 3: Royal China (Raffles Hotel)
Heard so much about Royal China and it made me wonder why I took so long to try their dim sum. My sis recommended the restaurant for the ambience, saying that the place looked lovely with its Tiffany-blue interior and white furniture. Ladyironchef (food blogger) voted it as one of the best dim sum places around. Beatrice the blogger said it was her favourite dim sum place so how can I not try? I love dim sum and know what I'm looking for in good dim sum and so I asked my girlfriends to try the dim sum with me to see if they bloggers were right.
Pics taken outside the restaurant with the murals of Raffles Hotel
Guess what? The bloggers are so right! This is definitely a great place for dim sum as the food are tasty! I love the har gau (prawn dumplings) as the skin is not too thick and the prawns are fresh. Left the place very satisfied with the food but disappointed with the service. I just wish that during my next visit, I will not be served by the manager who will get all my orders wrong. Definitely bringing my family back to try the dim sum.


Food hunt 4: Curry House Coco Ichibanya (Bugis +)
From the name, you can roughly tell that this is probably a sister restaurant of Ichiban.This restaurant serves just curry rice and the options are pretty simple. Just like how the Japanese love their curry rice plain and simple, this menu offers either one or two ingredients that you can add to the curry and rice. Straightforward but yummy. You also get to customise the spice level of the curry, portion of rice and decide if you want to top up to add some garnishes.
Met up with Joan and she tried the katsu curry rice with cheese while I opted for the same one without cheese. The typical Japanese curry is slightly sweet and thick but I find the ones at Coco not too sweet, possibly an attempt to suit the local taste. If I'm looking for a simple dinner, I'll most likely go back to Coco. :)


Food hunt 5: So bad that I can't remember the name of the restaurant except it has a Japanese warrior as the symbol (112 Katong)
Honestly, I think Japanese-Italian fusion is a bad bad idea. Nothing tastes good. For cream-based pasta, the base was too watery and creamy (something which I hate). For tomato-based pasta, I think the base I cook is soooooooo much better. Nothing bad about the pizza except the restaurant used frozen prawns so the prawns taste rather fake. Worst of all, service was poor.


Food hunt 6: Spizza at East Coast (Near Five Star Hainanese chicken rice stall)
We have been going to 112 Katong pretty often the past two weeks are and since Katong has many awesome and interesting restaurants, it just made us keep going back. Saw this Italian restaurant the first weekend we went and des was craving for some good pasta (other than Ambush which is the place we frequent). We reached there at 5.30pm and the restaurant only opened at 6pm. We were too hungry so gave it a miss instead. Today, we went back to try the famous pizza and also the pasta which is customised to your liking. Verdict? Definitely worth trying! The crust of the pizza is good and they use fresh ingredients too! 

We ordered the wood oven-baked pizza with mushrooms and sausages, garlic bread and crab linguine. Price-wise, I think it's reasonable.

No comments: