Thursday, September 23, 2010

I see your TRUE COLOURS shining...

When I say "TRUE COLOURS", I'm not refering to the meaning in the well-known song, BUT the ugly side of humans!

School has begun for 3 weeks and the daily 2-hrs one-way traveling from Paya Lebar MRT to Boon Lay MRT (it should be 4-hrs to be exact but I have a nice chauffeur who fetches me from school on some days :)) has proved to be pretty insightful. I get to see how true Singaporeans are or I should say, how true Singapore men are.

I have to make myself clear, I'm not targeting at all Singapore guys but on a few occasions, I do observe that most Singapore men have "evolved", i.e. they are becoming less GENTLEMANLY and KIASU!

I have witnessed how guys fought for seats with ladies despite them carrying nothing or perhaps just a small briefcase while the ladies that they were fighting for seats with were carrying heavy bags or laptops. Not letting up their seats for ladies are not the worst scenarios. The worst scenarios are seeing how they slided and ran to the empty seats when those ladies have been standing in front of the seats for the past half an hour!!! I personally encountered one such incident last week and I was flabbergasted!

As usual, it was Monday and I had to fight the morning crowd. I stood in front of a lady in formal attire (I am pretty good at guessing which stop a person will alight at) who I believed will alight at Raffles Place or Tanjong Pagar. I was not carrying a heavy bag but the thought of me standing for the next 45 min just made me long for a seat. Just when the train was approaching Raffles Place station, I saw a slight shift and the lady began to carry her handbag and stood up. You had no idea how happy I was.

WAIT!!! This well-dressed guy started to move from his original place (which was near the door) and moved very quickly to stand beside me. When the lady left her seat, that rude and inconsiderate guy immediately took the seat and began to play with his iphone without even looking up my dumbfounded face! Oh man and this happened in less than three seconds?!?!

I was so pissed with him and it was not like there was no other seats available because apparently, there were two other empty seats later. This obviously showed me how KIASU and un-gentlemanly that guy was! I thought only uncles and aunties do that!

I couldn't care more about him because I was pretty tired that day. So, I just settled on other available seat. But, the point I am trying to make here is that our local guys have changed!

If you ever take a train from Boon Lay/ Pioneer/ Joo Koon, you won't be surprised to find the NTU guys fighting for seats as well!

Another thing that I want to share here is the comment this classmate told me the other day.
"I thought all pigs eat shit one!?!?"
Well, that classmate was a Malay and she asked me that. I wasn't even sure if she proof-read thoughts before letting them out. Was she being insensitive or just innocent? I chose not to comment. But this incident goes to show how important it is to think before we speak.

Don't you think so?

No comments: