Sunday, September 2, 2012

Lulu and Mimi

School started and so far, I'm adjusting well to it. Not going to talk about school since nothing interesting has happened but I have something new to share. 
I have two new pets! 

Well, it started recently when I was waiting for des at NEX after school. With time to spare, I went to the Pet Safari and saw them selling many small bloated goldfish! They are pearlscale goldfish and very adorable and pretty! Their unique characteristics are the bloated belly due to their enlarged bladder and the pearllike scales!

Pic taken from wikipedia

pic credits to HNLim of myfishforum

So cute right!?!? Like little "fishballs" swimming in the pail. 

Anyway, I tried having normal goldfish as pets before and they were hard to take care and died a few days later. But, I really wanted to try again. I love goldfish.

So, I got some advice from bro and he encouraged me to buy ranchus instead of pearlscale as pearlscale are more vulnerable. Furthermore, I went to the fish shop and their pearlscale goldfish are not as pretty as the ones sold at pet safari.

Some background info on Ranchu:
Like pearlscale, ranchu is another fanciful breed of goldfish. In the olden days, the Chinese royals reared them in their garden ponds. Up till today, they are reared for competitions where ranchus will compete to see which has the nicest and brightest colour and nicest pattern on their back and tail. The unique characteristics are the arched back and butterflylike tail.



After much consideration, I settled for two ranchus. Let me introduce you to Lulu and Mimi!



Lulu is the one with orange and white pattern and Mimi is the one with the overall orange pattern. 

Hopefully, with proper care, they will survive longer than my previous goldfish. Only then, I will consider if I want to add more fish to the tank!

No comments: