Thursday, July 7, 2011

THANK YOU Mr Shah! (Investiture Part 1)

Yesterday was the day of my investiture and it was a splendid day!
For once, I can say that I finally got to sit in the first row! Yes, and right opposite my professors and the guest-of-honour Minister of State Affairs. Prestigious right! Most importantly, I was Graduand No 6 and one of the two girls who were awarded distinction (there was a total of 7 of us being awarded with distinction)!

Enough of all those "showing-off" (for now), the proudest moment was also the time where we had to recite the teacher pledge. I almost teared! What a touching moment when 600 over graduands said the pledge and knowing that we are going to embark on a meaningful journey. Of course, there were some funny moments during the 3-hr serious ceremony. A girl's shoe actually broke on stage and she had to walk barefooted right in front of all the graduands, guests and THE DEAN! The shoe really knew when to pick the right time to be spoilt! LOL

This time round, I also got bro to attend my investiture because I wanted him to help me take some professional graduation pictures (hopefully, they turn out nice). Oh, and not forgetting a watch that I got as a graduation present from Des.

Last but not least, I have a great piece of news to share (I know some of you are not even interested). Interestingly enough, I chatted with my CT this morning. She asked me how I was doing before asking me if I remembered what she shared about Mr Shah.


**********
Well, Mr Shah was my moderator for practicum. After 8 weeks of my practicum, my supervisor decided that I was good enough to get a moderator to come and observe my lesson so as to decide if I can be a distinction case. Initially, I had no idea it was a man who will be my moderator.

So, before the lesson, this Malay professor was busy giving me a lecture and intense interview (felt more like interrogation). He asked me why I wanted to be a teacher and tested me on all the strategies that I have learnt in NIE. When I said test, I really meant it. He refused to give me the answers when I was stuck with a question, eg. "What are the five types of questions?". Instead of telling me that one of the types is "analyse" questions, he would give me a hint saying that the first letter is "a". I felt like I was on a game show! LOL

Nonetheless, he also focussed on ny well-being. He asked me if I have any support from family or friends as being a teacher can be very stressful. The funniest part had to be this question: Are you married or attached? When I said yes, he quickly told me that being a teacher does not mean that we can't have our own life. He went on describing how some teachers can spend their weekends doing work when they should be spending quality time with their loved ones. Spotted right on! I think he could sense how sad I was at that time, going through the toughest period of my NIE life.

Before I went in to conduct my lesson, he even wished me good luck. How rare! He asked me to teach as though he was not there and just continued teaching regardless of what. A nice man! (not that I'm bootlicking because of what I learnt this morning)

So the lesson went well even though the lesson was not the best I have ever had. I just felt very relaxed in class and my pupils were cooperative. After the lesson, we had a post conference and I could tell he was pretty satisfied with my performance.

On a different note, I was jotting down areas of improvement on my book and the table was unstable and shaking non-stop as I wrote. He stopped me and asked me in a serious tone, "Why are you trembling? Are you afraid of me?" 
My face was an instant : / LOL

I never knew about the result after the day. I was confident but getting a distinction did not matter so much to me then as I was distracted by something else.

Fast forward to this morning, Mr Shah's name was brought up. My CT told me that Mr Shah shared with her last time that in his ten years' service as a supervisor or moderator, he has never given anyone a distinction. I remembered how my CT warned me never to expect too much as it was likely that I might not get the distinction too.

But guess what?

I, Ms Wong Sally, has proven to be the first one to break his ten years' record. I think I did not wow Mr Shah with a fabulous and perfect lesson plan but rather I think he saw the passion and sincerity that I have in me.

I'm glad that my enthusiasm is revived yet again as I have been asking myself the past weeks since school reopened: Why am I doing all these now in school?

To be honest, I even dreaded going to school and thinking of all ways to fake MCs.

SALLY! Time to wake up and move on!

I just want to tell all of you who are reading my blog, hard work and sincerity do pay off. Some may not appreciate you but you must never give up on yourself.

Shall show you guys my investiture pics once bro develops them!

No comments: